LMPA has had an ongoing weed-management program for many years. The above map is representative of what the lake can look like. Note the red represents dense milfoil. There are some misconceptions about so called beautiful yards. The can be quite harmful to the overall health of a lake.
Limit the use of pesticides or fertilizers, and always follow the label directions. Many fertilizers and pesticides contain harmful chemicals which can travel through the soil and contaminate groundwater or run off in stormwater to rivers, streams, and lakes. EPA evaluates pesticides to ensure that when they are used according to label directions they will not harm people, non-target species or the environment.
Mishnock Lake is part of one of Rhode Island's most productive groundwater resources - the Mishnock Aquifer - providing about 20 % of the Kent County water supply, with the other 80 % coming from the Scituate Reservoir. For more information about the importance of Mishnock Lake as a water source or to see this year's bacteria results, and the individual charts (Secchi, chlorophyll, temperature and dissolved oxygen) and other parameters go to http://www.uri.edu/ce/wq/ww and click on monitoring data and results.